Summary: Lay out, assemble, install, and maintain pipe systems, pipe supports, and related hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for water, heating, cooling, lubricating, and industrial production and processing systems. This lead will work alongside the Pipe department to help ensure all procedures and requirements for each job are up to standard.
- Cut and thread pipe to specifications, using tools such as saws, cutting torches, and pipe threaders and benders.
- Assemble and secure pipes, tubes, fittings, and related equipment, according to specifications, by welding, brazing, cementing, soldering, and threading joints.
- Attach pipes to walls, fencing, structures and fixtures, using brackets, clamps, tools or welding equipment.
- Inspect, examine, and test installed systems and pipe lines, using pressure gauge, hydrostatic testing, observation, or other methods.
- Measure and mark pipes for cutting and threading.
- Lay out full scale drawings of pipe systems, supports, and related equipment, following blueprints.
- Plan pipe system layout, installation, or repair according to specifications.
- Select pipe sizes and types and related materials, such as supports, hangers, and hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications.
- Cut and bore holes in structures, such as bulkheads, decks, walls, and mains, prior to pipe installation, using hand and power tools.
- Modify, clean, and maintain pipe systems, units, fittings, and related machines and equipment, following specifications and using hand and power tools.
- Install automatic controls used to regulate pipe systems.
- Inspect work sites for obstructions
- Assume a troubleshooting role during the tryout phase of equipment; and
- Provide technical assistance in the installation of equipment at customer locations.
- Willingness to learn more areas of the company in regards to Build, Pipe, Machining, etc.
- Other functions as may be directed by Management.
- 5-7 years’ experience in machine tool pipe fitting
- Must be able to thread pipe
- Must be capable of tube bending, bench and hand benching, sweating copper, and soft piping machine tools.
- Extensive experience in machine tool build, preferably in BIW welding and assembly systems and setting equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret pneumatic and fluid drawings.
- Demonstrated ability to lead jobs and manage employees
- Must have own tools
- Ability to help staff the build department to accommodate high and lows in the build schedule (direct hiring or contracting).
- Must be able to work to timelines and budgets.
- Must be willing and able to work overtime, travel and work at customer sites.
***This position does not involve pipe welding***