Summary: Manage the machine tool build department and follow established manufacturing procedures and work instructions. This lead will work alongside other build department employees and ensure all processes and jobs go smoothly and efficiently. Plan, organize, direct and control the functions of all build department personnel in coordination with operations manager.
- Examine and review all relevant blueprints, schematic drawings and layouts to determine appropriate work procedures and the necessary sequence of work operations.
- To assemble and install component parts and equipment into machinery being build using various hand and power tools.
- When required, operate metal working machines to file, grind, tac weld, drill or turn machine parts to dimensional specifications.
- Assist other trades (electricians, pipefitters, robot programmers, PLC programmers) during the try-out and de-bug stages, making all necessary adjustments or alterations to equipment and tooling.
- Perform rigging and dismantling functions when the job is ready to be shipped.
- When required, assist in the re-assembly of equipment at the customer’s site and make all necessary adjustments or alterations
- When requested, provide technical support or feedback related to completed equipment or systems to company personnel.
- Implement production schedules and forecast/plan manpower requirements to maintain these schedules.
- Willingness to learn more areas of the company in regards to Build, Pipe, Machining, etc.
- 5 years’ + experience working as Machine Tool Builder in an industrial environment
- 2 – 3 years’ experience as a department leader within a machine tool assembly environment
- Experience working for an Automotive supplier is preferred
- Must be able to layout weld cells for final build processes
- Ability to safely operate, and obtain necessary certification to operate, equipment such as overhead cranes, forklifts, etc.
- Ability to help staff the build department to accommodate high and lows in the build schedule (direct hiring or contracting).
- Must be able to work to timelines and budgets.
- Must be able and willing to work overtime and travel to customer sites when needed